Typically the drafting attorney will take care of deeding your property into your new revocable living trust (RLT). The attorney will normally include instructions for the client to notify their home owners insurance that the trust should now be named an additional insured. Unfortunately, this is often forgotten.

Here is a form letter you can modify for your needs to rectify the situation. Those in community property states will need to change the wording since you typically put the property into a single family trust.

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
123 Main St.
Anytown, ST, 12345

December 8th, 2006

Re: Policy No. __________________

We have conveyed our real property insured by the above referenced
policy one-half (1/2) into each of our Revocable Living Trusts. We have
enclosed a photocopy of each of our Short Form Trusts. These Trusts are
identified as follows:

1. John Doe, Trustee of The John Doe Trust Dated September 1, 2006
2. Jane Doe, Trustee of The Jane Doe Trust Dated September 1, 2006

Please have our Trusts named as additional insured under the above policy.

Thank you for your assistance.


John Doe

Jane Doe